Image Map

What I Did In November

Friday 30 November 2012

It's been a busy old month, and December is set to be even more hectic.  Fun though!  Here's what I've been up to recently:


- Tried Dining in the Dark


I was invited along to The Living Room in Liverpool earlier in the month for an evening with a difference. We were sampling mini versions of the food and drink from their new menu and playing guess the ingredient, but with our eyes closed. Well, with blindfolds on, to be precise. I learned that my taste buds are Not Very Good - I think I got 14.5/40 or something shocking like that, although weirdly I did guess all the cheeses correctly and I don't even eat cheese.  Anyway, the main discovery to come out of the evening was not my hitherto-unknown cheese-guessing powers, but the fact that The Living Room is really lovely.  I'd always associated the Liverpool one with footballers and gorgeous girls on nights out rather than delicious food, and I was super-impressed with how good everything on the menu was, as well as how nice and chilled out a venue it was.  Shall be heading back there soon!


- Watched American Idiot The Musical


Which was fab!  I had a slight fear that it would be clunky but it all fitted together rather well and the cast were great.  That album is very tied up with memories for me but I blocked that out and enjoyed it anyway.

- Got excited about Christmas at work
 

We've busted out the Christmas cd collection already.  In our defence, pretty much everyone is finishing on 14th Dec cos we've got so much leave left to take, so we're allowed to start the festivities in November.  That's our excuse and we're sticking to it.  Plus we have a house and a flipping big tree to decorate!  I was teetering on a ledge about 6 inches wide (if I tipped forwards I went into the tree, if I tipped backwards I crashed into a historic painting) and dancing to Jingle Bell Rock whilst making the tree looks fancy.  It looks ace, even if I do say so myself.

- Visited the cinema quite a bit


Seriously, how much good stuff was on this month?  I didn't even get round to seeing Argo, The Master or Rust and Bone.  Sad face.  The four films I did see were all wildly different but very good.  And who knew Bradley Cooper could actually act?

- Went to see Ben Folds Five

What a pair of fitfaces we are.

I'm not very musical. I don't spend a lot on music, or going to gigs, but I am a total Ben Folds fangirl. I went to see him on the (solo) Lonely Avenue tour a couple of years ago and as soon as the announcement went out that the band were reforming and touring in the UK, I pounced on the tickets.  Ffion and I had a bloody marvellous time last night in Manchesterville.

- Got quite a lot of shopping done.


Nothing in there but moths and a Tesco clubcard now.

I know, I know, it's only November. But I have to be super organised with presents for the people from work - I don't see most of them after 9th December - and then various friends are moving mid-month or generally just away, so I have to get started early. And I have two Secret Santa parcels to put together, plus a load of giveaway packages to organise! December is officially the month where I have no spare time. I'm totally calling on Parcelforce to send all my packages safely around the country. They pick them up from you! I can't face Post Office queues at the best of times and the thought of standing in line in December makes me shudder to the core.

- Tried opera. Cosi fan tutte to be precise.
Hark at me!  I think my pal Lee is just trying to convert me into a complete culture vulture.  He's already got me watching ballet (although not modern dance which tends to bore me to sleep) and he persuaded me to try a £5 ticket to the opera.  I rather surprised myself by absolutely loving it.  More please!

- Sorted out a great big pre-Christmas giveaway

Watch this space tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. WOW that's a big tree at work. Ours is just a normal one, in reception. Austerity and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silver Linings Playbook = best film of the year!! Really want some mini food now, not got lunch until 1 and I'm so hungry xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been up to lots! All exciting.
    I'm hoping to see Silver Linings Playbook next week, it looks really good!
    Never been to opera but always wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, how busy have you been! What a month you have had. Loving the look of the trees. You can't beat a national trust property for dressing up for Christmas.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that's a cracking tree. Nothing like starting the festivities a little early :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so organised Alex, the work tree looks stunning. Certainly worth the effort by the sounds of it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, so much exciting stuff here! Good choice with Cosi, that's a funny opera! Er, is it possible I can send you my book reviews tomorrow night- suffered a disaster in the finishing Time city stakes by leaving it locked in school, need to get and complete....x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see Silver Linings Playbook, I always said those 2 are my christian & ana... and then they appear in this movie together! Delighted :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing in my advent calander, as I do not have one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tree is amazing, I have mine up already, I was feeling festive at the weekend, haha!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish to show appreciation to the writer for rescuing me from this particular

    incident. As a result of exploring throughout the world-wide-web and seeing

    proposals that were not productive, I assumed my life was

    done. Being alive without the presence of

    answers to the difficulties you've

    resolved all through your main website is a critical case, and the kind

    that might have in a wrong way

    affected my entire career if I hadn't come across your website.
    Your

    actual natural talent and kindness in taking care of all things was invaluable.
    I am not sure what I would've done if I had not come upon such a stuff like this. I am able to at

    this time relish my future. Thanks a lot very much for this skilled and

    amazing guide. I will not

    think twice to propose your web blog to any person who wants and needs care

    on this subject matter.
    Here is my web page : lisente

    ReplyDelete

I'm easily pleased - a simple comment will cheer me up no end. So do drop me a line below...

Sorry to readers who prefer to comment anonymously but I am getting clobbered with spam at the moment so have had to disable anon comments. Feel free to get in touch with me in another way!